Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Act Your Orientation

Wrote this as an assignment for my Creative Writing class. The assignment was to write a one page non-fictional story, with one fictional element. This story doesn't exactly hold me in the greatest light. I hope you enjoy. 

Act your orientation

By Dustin P Anderson

It was a hot, Florida-like day on the morning of the day I would become a man in society’s eyes. I was by the pool at my current girlfriend’s house and I looked at her with the same curiosity that I always had, wondering silently to myself if there would ever be a moment that I would truly be attracted to her. I could see other boys looking at her in the hall, I could definitely discern that she had attractive features, but for some reason my mind could not escape this trapped feeling of never wanting anything more than a close friend that I was obligated to see every day. I could see she felt the opposite way about me. She could hardly keep her jubilation hidden every time we kissed in a hall way, or around her friends. She acted the same way when we were alone like we were currently, but it was more of a show when we were in public. Like I was a prize her friends should recognize. It was like I listened to her thoughts during these moments and kept hearing the same mantra recited back to me: “look, I got Dustin, the guy that doesn’t seem interested in anyone.”
My lack of interest in the opposite sex had gathered some negative attention from other boys in the school. I was constantly asked “what are you some kind of fag bro? You need to go ask some of these hotties out.” I always said that it was my extreme lack of confidence that led to my sexual solitude, in reality I couldn’t stand lying to someone that seemed to truly care for me in a way I could never care for them.  I didn’t know if I was “some kind of fag” at the time, I could never admit it to myself. I always thought more of the boys in my classes then the girls, and I was often aroused by those thoughts but I could never bring myself to act on them. My father always let me know that having the kind of thoughts that raced in my head would lead my soul to an eternal pit of torment. The kids in my school would constantly harass the boys who would come out of the closet. Some would be beaten physically, while others would be ridiculed mercilessly until they eventually stopped coming to school all together. I was a true coward in the face of social adversity, instead of realizing my feelings, I buried them.
That cowardice led me to this moment, the moment that would allow me to be seen as straight to all of my comrades. The moment that would finally allow me to live a life of non-confrontation. The day I lose my virginity. While I sat there hoping for some sort of attraction to appear, looking at this girl in a bikini, my brain was at war to save me from a path moral questionability. “You’re too young. You just got done with middle school, give it at least until your second year of high school.”  The angel on my shoulder said. “You know at least ten other guys that have done this already. You’re fine.” The demon on the opposite shoulder responded. “She has been baking in this sun for quite some time. She will probably be too burnt to want to do anything.” The angel hoped for me. “This is her plan. She wants to do this regardless of a little sunburn. She intentionally invited you over to spend the night with no parents. If you look in her drawer I bet you’ll find a condom.” The Devil blocked. The two went back and forth in my mind for some time until she arose from her baking, to smile at me. We went through the rest of our day like normal, relaxing with some television, sharing kisses here and there until the night came.
She had invested in some candles for our first sleep over and my shoulder angel was ringing off warning bells as she lit them. We completely undressed each other and my shoulder Devil’s premonition turned out to be mostly accurate as she unveiled a condom from her purse. I asked her multiple times if she was sure this is what she wanted, I assured her multiple times we could wait, in some last ditch effort to save my soul from this wretched engagement. Nothing worked and we eventually found ourselves embraced in a post coital cuddle. I made sure to be very attentive to her needs, figuring thtat at least one of us should derive some pleasure from this; even with this thought in my head, I was beyond ashamed of myself. I committed the ultimate misogynic sin by using a girl for my own ends instead of truly being in love with her. Although she seemed happy by this outcome I know that if she could read my mind she would feel disgusted in me. My pit was only dug deeper as we continued this activity until our eventual break up, my pit was only made wider as she wouldn’t be the only girl I would do this to. The path of redemption for my soul wouldn’t begin for some time after I was done with high school. I still pray to this day that it is not beyond saving for my crimes against those women’s feeling and my own conscience.



-The one fictional thing about this story is that we never had any candles.

No comments:

Post a Comment